Racial Justice Statement
Racial Justice Statement of the Caucus of Working Educators
The below statement was written by members of Working Educators' Racial Justice Committee:
The Caucus of Working Educators believes that purposeful action needs to be taken in order to eliminate the adverse outcomes derived from perpetual structural racism evident in public education.
- WE want public school based policies that resist the criminalization of students of color.
- WE want curriculum and pedagogy that recognizes the collective contribution of all groups to modern society.
- WE want a full and fair funding formula that can provide for all of the needs of our students and schools.
- WE want standardized testing to end and no longer be used as the criteria to shutter schools since these tactics adversely affect low income, Black, and Latino communities.
- WE want to attract, develop, and retain more teachers of color.
WE are aware of the barriers that all of our students and families face that limit their chances and opportunities to achieve academic success and a positive sustainable quality of life. WE support all organizations and collective work that are against stop and frisk policies, support the fight for fair and safe housing, support a living and sustainable wage for all citizens, and the right for all to have access to affordable and equitable healthcare.
The Caucus of Working Educators believes that this Racial Justice Statement promotes equity, human life, educational and social justice, and will develop the necessary knowledge and actions necessary to eliminate the barriers created by prejudice, stereotyping, discrimination and bias in Philadelphia and beyond.